On March 12, 2019, 52 Silver Haired Legislature (SHL) delegates from all over the state traveled to the state capitol in Jefferson City for a regular meeting of the Board of Directors and to talk in person with their respective legislators. Delegates highlighted SHL’s past achievements, as well as its current priorities.
Last fall, SHL delegates came together for their 45th Annual Conference and chose these issues as their top five priorities to support during the 2019 legislative session:
- Establish the Senior Services Growth and Development program.
- Revise MoRx, Missouri’s State Pharmacy Assistance Program.
- Increase funding for home-delivered meals and congregate meals.
- Make Missouri’s income tax brackets more progressive.
- Approve over-the-counter sale/use of industrial hemp oil as a supplement.
As the Area Agency on Aging for Cass, Clay, Jackson, Platte and Ray counties in Missouri, the Mid-America Regional Council’s department of Aging and Adult Services provides administrative support to the local SHL chapter. SHL delegates are chosen through elections at area senior centers. For more information about the SHL, contact MARC at 816-474-4240.